- Be able to describe the different manifestations of anxiety, including the similarities and differences between the symptoms of several different anxiety disorders.
- Learn more about some of the available treatments for anxiety.
- Hear about how anxiety affects individuals and their families in day-to-day life, with focus on the specific challenges of living with anxiety.
- Understand more about some of the physical symptoms of anxiety.
Anxiety disorders as a whole are the most common mental illness in the United States. An estimated 31% of U.S. adults experience an anxiety disorder at some point in their lives. In this show, we explore several different forms that anxiety can take and learn more about how difficult it can be to differentiate between distinct anxiety disorders. We specifically focus on obsessive compulsive disorder, social anxiety disorder, panic disorder, performance anxiety, and excoriation disorder. Our guests share their experiences of living with anxiety, including the challenges of receiving a diagnosis (or diagnoses) and finding effective treatment. Their stories highlight how debilitating anxiety can be, but also provide hope for treatment and recovery.
- [1:40] Monica Grabin on OCD, performance anxiety, skin picking, and how she deals with intrusive thoughts.
- [23:41] Valery Rockwell on raising a child with social anxiety.
- [44:20] Robert Fox on growing up with OCD, and the treatments that have helped.
Full Interviews Featured in this Episode
OCD’s Many Manifestations
Raising a Child with Anxiety
- Several different treatment modalities were discussed in this show, with different opinions about their effectiveness. As a provider, does this affect the way you think about treating anxiety?
- Monica bravely shares how she experienced disturbing thoughts as part of her OCD. What was your response when she shared these thoughts?
- Have you experienced anxiety in your life? In what way were you able to relate to the guests of this show?
Links to additional resources:
NAMI: Anxiety Disorders
National Alliance on Mental Illness resource about anxiety disorders
American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry: Resources
Anxiety disorder resource center from the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
Mental Health America: Anxiety Disorders
Comprehensive resources about anxiety, with specific information pages about each anxiety disorder
SAMHSA: Anxiety Disorders
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration information about anxiety disorders